I’m writing this because Google needs your help to weed out fake reviewers, and this is how I reported one.
I just reported this user, Heather C-H, where I suspect that it’s a fake profile for a number of reasons…
- No “About” information
- No personal information
- No full name
- No profile photo
- No images, albums or videos
- All reviews are for businesses in different parts of the country / world.
- All of their “reviews” were created within a one month time frame.
- Several of the reviews are written about the same industry, (medical).
- All reviews are negative except for one. (Might that be who hired them?)
Any of these reasons alone are not enough to add up to a fake profile, but combined, I do believe that it does indicate that this is a fraudulent account. These fake reviews are hurting businesses, and I think Google has a responsibility to take action against these fakes, giving the business owners the benefit of the doubt.
These are the steps I took to report the fake profile to Google…
1. I logged into my Google account, then visited their reviews page.
2. I went to the top right, the “gear” icon, and chose “Report / Block Heather”.
3. On the next screen, I chose the third option, “This profile violates other User Content and Conduct Policies”, because the policy they are violating is #12, “Impersonation or Deceptive Behavior”
4. Then I hit “DONE although I was not actually done, because on the next screen I selected the top option, “Unwanted Commercial Content or Spam”, and hit “Okay”.
5. On the next and final screen I saw this thank you message –
So, with a little luck, Google will review the profile, and remove it, along with the fake reviews, from their listings.